DHC-3 Otter Archive Master Index

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   click on arrows to navigate page by page

c/n 132

55-3283 at Vung Tau, Vietnam.
Photo: Lance Higgerson © 1966

c/n 132

52-3283

C-FJCT

X

 55-3283 -United States Army on 26th June 1956.

Assigned to the 2nd Aviation Company, Fort Riley, KS.

Jun-1957 to Brookley AFB., Mobile, AL. Here the aircraft was loaded on board a ship serving then serving with the Military Sea Transportation Service, which set sail for Bremerhaven, Germany. arriving on 16-May-1967.

2nd Aviation Company based at Illesheim, Germany until Jul-1959 when the unit moved to France.

Jul-1959 Served with the 2nd Aviation Company and the platoon based at Verdun in France, flying from Royellier AAF.

Jun-1962 Coleman Barracks Depot, Mannheim, Germany as a maintenance float.

May-1964 arrived at the Army Aeronautical Depot Maintenance Center (ARADMAC), Corpus Christi, TX.

Nov-1964. Assigned to the 339th Transportation Company, Vietnam as a support aircraft

February 1966 when it was assigned to the 18th Aviation Company

Sep-1966. Returned to the Army Aeronautical Depot Maintenance Center (ARADMAC), Corpus Christi, TX. for overhaul.

Dec-1966, Returned to Vietnam and joined the 54th Aviation Company.

Sep-1968. To the 388th Transportation Company, Vung Tau, Vietnam

Nov-1968. Sharpe Army Depot, Stockton, CA. into storage.

 EA-54 with the Ethiopian Army. Government of Ethiopia under a Military Aid Program, based at Lidetta Air Base, Addis Ababa. Where it was placed into storage after 03-Apr-1978 until 1991 .

Total time 7,078 hours.

 Un regd NCA International, ( a subsidiary of Newcal Aviation). Luqa, Malta. Remaining until 1994.

 N18NC Newcal Aviation's, Little Ferry, NJ. Regd Jan 1992.

 N18NC Pen Turbo Aviation Inc., Rio Grande, NJ, (a Newcal company formed to develop and market a turbine engined version of the DHC-4 Caribou). Remained stored at New Ferry, NJ until canx 09-Jan-1996.

C-FJCT Randy D' Aoust / Quality Aircraft Sales, St. Albert, AB. Regd 23-Sep-1996. Canx 11-Sep-2000.

Status unknown

x

Otter 132 was delivered to the United States Army on 26th June 1956 with serial 55-3283 (tail number 53283). It was assigned to the 2nd Aviation Company, Fort Riley, Kansas which later deployed to Germany and then France (as described in relation to Otter 124). 53283 served with the 2nd Aviation Company's platoon based at Royellier AAF, Verdun, France from 1959 until June 1962. It then went to Coleman Barracks, Mannheim, Germany as a maintenance float and in May '64 arrived at the ARADMAC Depot, Corpus Christi, Texas from where it was transported to Vietnam in November '64, assigned to the 339th Transportation Company as a support aircraft. It flew for the 339th until February 1966 when it was assigned to the 18th Aviation Company.

In September 1966 the Otter was returned to the ARADMAC Depot for overhaul, going back to Vietnam in December '66, when it joined the 54th Aviation Company. It continued to fly for the 54th until September 1968, when it arrived at the 388th Transportation Company, Vung Tau. It was transported back to the United States, arriving at the Sharpe Army Depot, Stockton, California in November 1968, where it was put into storage. In February 1971 it was transferred to the Government of Ethiopia under a Military Aid Program, and became serial EA-54 with the Ethiopian Army. It served for seven years, based at Lidetta Air Base, Addis Ababa and its final flight for the Ethiopian Army took place on 3rd April 1978, from Dire Dawa to Lidetta. At that stage, it had 7,087 hours on the airframe. It was placed in storage at Lidetta alongside the Ethiopian Army's other three surviving Otters (EA-50, -52 and -53), which had already been retired by then.

These four Otters remained parked at Lidetta until 1991, when they were spotted by a pilot flying for the United Nations/Red Cross and were purchased by NCA International, then a subsidiary of Newcal Aviation, who specialise in the sale of aircraft parts, particularly DHC parts. The four Otters were transported to NCA's base at Malta, where they remained until 1994, when they were shipped to Newcal Aviation's facility at Little Ferry, New Jersey. In January 1992 Otter 132 had been registered to NewCal Aviation Ltd as N18NC. In August 1995 the registered owner was changed to Pen Turbo Aviation Inc, Rio Grande, New Jersey, this being a Newcal company formed to develop and market a turbine engined version of the DHC-4 Caribou. The other three former Ethiopian Otters were also registered to this company at the same time.

The four Otters remained in storage at Little Ferry until September 1996, when all four were sold to Randy D'Aoust / Quality Aircraft Sales and were trucked all the way from New Jersey to his farm at St.Albert outside Edmonton, Alberta. Here Mr D'Aoust had a hangar and landing strip. The four Otters were registered to Quality Aircraft Sales in September 1996, 132 becoming C-FJCT, the intention being to rebuild the Otters and sell them. This however did not happen and these Otters remained in storage until they were sold to others for rebuild. Registration C-FJCT was cancelled on 11th September 2000. The current whereabouts of this Otter is unknown.

Full history courtesy of Karl E. Hayes © from DHC-3 Otter: A History (2005).

x