• 55-3292 United States Army. Delivered 25-Jul-1956. Designated as U-1A.
Assigned to 2nd Aviation Company, Fort Riley, KS.
Jul/Aug to Brookley AFB, Mobile, AL. Here the aircraft was loaded on board a ship serving with the Military Sea Transportation Service, which set sail for Bremerhaven, Germany arriving in Aug-1956.
Aug-1956. 2nd Aviation Company based at Illesheim, Germany until Jul-1959 when the unit moved to France.
Jul-1959. The Company headquarters of the 2nd Aviation Company and one platoon were based at Orléans, a second platoon at Verdun and a third platoon at Poitiers. During its time in France the aircraft was either based at or visited all three locations for different levels of maintenance.
Known to have been based at Orléans during 1965 until Mar-1967
Mar-1967. Assigned to the 56th Aviation Detachment at Coleman Barracks, Mannheim, Germany which took over the duties which the 2nd Aviation Company had performed.
Aug-1971. Into storage at Coleman Barracks Depot , Mannheim, Germany.
• N80940 Ferrer Aviation Inc., Miami, Florida. 02-Feb-1972
Total time, 4,454hrs
• CF-AON St.Louis Aviation Inc., St.Jean Airport, QC. Dates unknown.
• CF-AON La Sarre Air Service Ltd., La Sarre, QC.
• C-FAON La Sarre Air Service Ltd. Re regd circa-1981
• C-FAON Propair Inc., Rouyn Noranda, QC. Based La Sarre, QC. Regd 13-Sep-1989. Canx 20-Apr-1994.
Incident: Chevery Airport, QC. 02-Jan-1984. Made a landing with iced up brakes and ski/wheel combo . On landing the wheels and brakes failed to stop the aircraft and it skidded to a halt almost tipping over.
• N62KA Ketchikan Air Service Inc., Ketchikan, AK. Regd Apr-1994. Canx May-1994.
Airworthiness date: 10-Sep-1994. Category – Normal.
• N62KA Taquan Air Inc., Ketchikan, AK. Regd May-1997.
Total time: 18,745 hours at May-2000.
• N62KA Scudero Inc., Ketchikan. AK Regd & Canx date unknown.
• N62KA Kenmore Air, Seattle, WA. Regd & Canx date unknown.
• N62KA Leased to Sol Guthrie, dba Sol Air, Ketchikan, AK. Summer 2000.
• N62KA Carmacks Commercial Corporation, Anchorage, AK. Regd 25-Oct-2000.
• N93356 Red Leasing LLC., Juneau, AK. Regd 04-Mar-2003.
• N93356 Leased to Ward Air, Juneau, AK.
Power-plant: Converted to Texas Turbine Garrett TPE331-10JR-511C by Kal Air at Vernon, BC.
Accident: Slate Cove, Alaska, 31-Jul-2006 Whilst flying for Ward Air, the aircraft took off from Juneau flying workers to the Kenington gold mine. It was foggy as the floatplane attempted to land in Slate Cove, Berners Bay. The aircraft struck the water hard on landing. The fuselage filled with water from the front, and passengers had to scramble over cargo piled at the aft doorway to escape. PROBABLE CAUSE: "The pilot's failure to maintain altitude / clearance during approach, which resulted in the airplane impacting the surface of the water. Factors associated with the accident were the flat-light and glassy water conditions, which affected the pilot's ability to see the surface of the water”. The aircraft was shipped south to Kal-Air at Vernon, BC., for repair. The rebuilding of the Otter took most of a year it took off from Vernon on 25th August 2007 returning to Juneau to resume service with Ward Air.
• Current •