• 55-3305 United States Army. Delivered 24-Oct-1956. Designated U-1A.
Initially served with the 3rd Aviation Company, Fort Riley, KS.
Jul-1957. Moved with the unit when it deployed to Illesheim, Germany. Disbanded Nov-1969 but aircraft remained in Europe.
Jul-1960. Deployed using a Douglas C-124 Globemaster to the former Belgian Congo, to join an Army Task Force which was hurriedly formed to rescue US citizens, mostly missionaries, who were caught up in the fighting in the Congo
• 301 United Nations Support Wing Air Squadron, Leopoldville, Sep-1960 painted all white and given UN markings, and was named the “Silver Trumpeter”.
Served with the UN in the Congo, and subsequently in the Yemen, attached to 134 Air Transport Unit, manned by Royal Canadian Air Force personnel.
Jan-1964. Flown to the UN base at El Arish, Egypt where they were put into storage awaiting disposal.
• No regn G. Rae MacLeod, dba Aero Leasing, Montréal, QC. Purchased 26th May 1964.
• N127F Ferrer Aviation Inc., Miami, FL. Registered for ferry trip to Canada.
Entries preceded by dates are extracts from the Canadian Department of Transport archives.
24-Nov-1964 Application for Certificate of Registration by G. Rae MacLeod (Aero Leasing Registered), Montréal, QC.
24-Nov-1964 Temporary Certificate of Registration & Flight Permit to ferry Montreal to Lac-à-la-Tortue QC and return, valid to 24-Dec-1964, to G. Rae Macleod (Aero Leasing Registered), Montréal, QC.
24-Feb-1965 Temporary Certificate of Registration & Flight Permit to ferry Lac-à-la-Tortue QC to Sept-Iles QC, valid 24-Mar-1965.
23-Jun-1965 Certificate of Airworthiness #10479 issued.
23-Jun-1965 Certificate of Registration #33132 issued to G. Rae MacLeod (Aero Leasing Registered)
• CF-RNP G. Rae MacLeod, dba Aero Leasing, Montréal, QC. Regd 23- Jun-19645.
23-Jun-1965 Amendment to Certificate of Registration #33132 to permit Commercial operation during lease to Northern Wings Ltd.
23-Jun-1965 Temporary Certificate of Airworthiness & Temporary Registration (Commercial) during lease to Northern Wings Ltd., valid to 22-Jul-1965.
• CF-RNP Leased to Northern Wings Ltd (Les Ailes du Nord), at Sept Iles, QC. Regd Regd 23-Jun-1965.
20-Jul-1967 Application Certificate of Registration Northern Wings Ltd.
21-Jul-1967 Temporary Certificate of Registration & Certificate of Airworthiness issued Northern Wings Ltd., Sept-Iles, QC., valid to 20-AUG-1967.
21-Jul-1967 Certificate of Registration #42145 issued Northern Wings Ltd., Sept-Iles, QC.
• CF-RNP Northern Wings Ltd (Les Ailes du Nord), at Sept Iles, QC. Regd 21-Jul-1967.
Undated. Application for Certificate of Registration by A. Fecteau Transport Aerien Ltée.
09-Apr-1968 Certificate of Registration #42379 issued A. Fecteau Transport Aerien Ltée, Senneterre, QC.
• CF-RNP A. Fecteau Transport Aerien Ltée, Senneterre, QC. Regd 09-Apr-1968.
Accident: Bradore Bay, QC. 51.29N/57.15W. 06-Sep-1968. On a flight from St. Pauls (Also quoted as St, Augustine, QC) to Blanc-Sablon QC. the aircraft was returning to the point of departure due to unfavourable weather conditions ahead, when persons on shore heard a change of engine noise followed by an explosion. The aircraft had struck the water at Bradore Lake slightly short of its final destination after the pilot had flown fog conditions. Pilot Lester Best, crewman Sam Foreman and six passengers were killed. The aircraft sank and was not recovered. Three bodies only and a seat cushion were all that was recovered..See extended report below.
Crash report in newspaper
• CF-RNP Cancelled from Canadian Civil Aircraft Register 12-May-1969
Total time since new as recorded in Canadian Department of Transport archives.
07-Jun-1966 - 3,403 hours
18-May-1967 - 4,083 hours
04-Jun-1968 - 4,840 hours
At time of accident -.5,088 hours