DHC-3 Otter Archive Master Index

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   click on arrows to navigate page by page

c/n 189

55-3321 “Esek Airlines - Stumblin' Stud” at Frankfurt.
Photo: Manfred Faber © 1969 - Aird Archives
55-3321 while stationed in Germany.
Photo: Unknown photographer © Date unknown - Karl E. Hayes Collection
55-3321 out to pasture at Coleman Barracks - ETOR, Germany.
Photo: Manfred Faber © 21 August 1972 - Aird Archives
N93441 in Europe.
Photo: Unknown photographer © Date unknown - Karl E. Hayes Collection
C-GLCV at Prestwick - EGPK, Scotland.
Photo: MAP © 22 June 1974 - Karl E. Hayes Collection

c/n 189

55-3321 N93441



55-3321 United States Army. Delivered 19-Dec-1956.  Designated as U-1A.

It first served with the 3rd Aviation Company, Fort Riley, KS.

Jul-1957. Deployed with the unit to Illesheim, Germany until disbanded in Nov-1959.

Nov-1959. Assigned to the 2nd Military Intelligence Battalion, Sembach Air Base, Germany where it continued to serve until February 1966.

Noted by Neil Aird at RAF Alconbury, UK. 24-Jul-1962.

Feb-1966. Coleman Barracks Depot - ETOR, Mannheim, Germany.

Circa Jun-1966. US Logistics Group, Turkey (TUSLOG), Detachment 4, based at Sinop Army Airfield until May-1972.

Jun-1972. Coleman Barracks Depot, Mannheim, Germany where it remained until sold.

• N93441 Joseph V. Massin, Rodenkirchen, Germany. Circa 1973.

• C-GLCV Air Craftsmen Ltd., St. John, NB., where the aircraft was converted to civilian configuration. Regd 27-Jan-1975

Total time: 4,691 hours.

• C-GLCV Les Fonds Nordic Ltd., Sept Îles, QC. Regd 05-Feb-1975.

• C-GLCV Leased to Air Gava, Schefferville, QC. Regd 27-Mar-1975.

Accident: Ungava Bay, twenty miles south of Koartac QC. 03-Feb-1976. After taking off pilot flew into bad weather but continued hoping it would improve. With the onset of darkness pilot landed on rough sea in snow and twilight. Landed heavily and was severely damaged. Two persons on board were rescued two days later Repaired on site and flown out to St. Jean, near Montréal where repaired by St. Louis Aviation.

Incident. Sept Îles, QC., 12-Mar-1976. Destroyed by fire on the ground.


Otter 189 was delivered to the United States Army on 19th December 1956 with serial 55-3321 (tail number 53321). It first served with the 3rd Aviation Company, Fort Riley, Kansas and moved with the unit when it deployed to Germany in July 1957, establishing at Illesheim. The 3rd Aviation Company disbanded in November 1959. 53321 was then assigned to the 2nd Military Intelligence Battalion, Sembach Air Base, Germany where it continued to serve until February 1966. After a few months at the depot at Mannheim, the Otter was assigned to US Logistics Group, Turkey

(TUSLOG), Detachment 4, based at Sinop Army Airfield.

Also based at Sinop were a pair of Beech U-8 Seminoles which, together with the Otter, served this remote outpost. Detachment 4's aviation section became known informally as “Esek Airlines” (an esek being a Turkish donkey). The Otter replaced a U-6A Beaver. Initially the Otter was painted in standard Army olive drab and carried the logo “Esek Airlines - Stumblin' Stud” on the engine cowling. Later the Otter was painted in the red/white colour scheme. 53321 took the honour of being the very last active US Army Otter in Europe. The remaining Army Otters, which were all based in Germany, eight of them, were withdrawn from service during 1971 and sold on the civilian market in December 1971. They had all been flown back to Canada during January/March 1972, leaving 53321 still serving in Turkey until May 1972. It passed through Athens Airport, Greece on 7th June 1972 on its ferry flight from Sinop to the Depot at Coleman Barracks, Mannheim, Germany where it was put into storage. It remained on Army charge until December 1972 and was then offered for sale. For a long time, it sat forlornly at Coleman Barracks, parked in the long grass, surrounded by no less than 86 U- 6A Beavers which were also awaiting disposal. The Otter was still in the red/white colour scheme and had been 'zapped' with a small TWA Airlines sticker on the tail.

The Otter was sold during 1973 to brokers Joseph V. Massin of Rodenkirchen, Germany and registered to them as N93441. By 15th January 1974 the aircraft was parked at Maastricht airfield in Holland and by 6th May 1974 was at Bonn-Hangelar airfield, Cologne, Germany. Massin Aircraft had also purchased eight Otters from the Ghana Air Force, and these eight Otters as well as N93441 were sold to Air Craftsmen Ltd., of St. John, New Brunswick, a company which traded in Otters. On 21st May 1974 marks C-GLCV were provisionally allocated to the Otter and a ferry permit issued for a flight from Cologne to St. John, New Brunswick. On 17th June 1974 C-GLCV flew from Bonn-Hangelar to Biggin Hill airfield, near London. Also arriving at Biggin Hill that day were two of the former Ghana Air Force Otters C-GLCO (420) and C-GLCT (430), which had flown up from Africa via Gibraltar and Marseille. All three Otters were fitted with ferry tanks for the transatlantic crossing and departed together from Biggin Hill for Prestwick, Scotland on 21st June 1974. All three set off for Reyjkavik, Iceland the following day and successfully completed the transatlantic flight to St. John.

C-GLCV underwent a major inspection and conversion to civilian configuration at St. John and flew to Oshawa, Ontario during August 1974 for further work, returning to St. John. On completion of the work, it made a test flight on 12th January 1975 and was registered to Air Craftsmen Ltd., on 27th January 1975. Its total time at that stage was 4,691 hours. The Otter was sold on 5th February 1975 to Les Fonds Nordic Ltd., of Sept Íles, Québec, a leasing company, and leased by them to Air Gava Ltée, based at Schefferville, Québec, to whom it was registered on 27th March 1975. For nearly a year, LCV served the bush country of northern Québec, until it met with an accident on 3rd February 1976. The Otter was flying from Payne Bay to Fort Chimo. Twenty minutes after departure, the weather deteriorated rapidly. The pilot did not turn back, hoping to find better conditions ahead. He continued at 11,000 feet in cloud for several hours. With darkness approaching, he descended until he had visual contact and made an approach to land, through blowing snow and in twilight, on the rough sea ice of Ungava Bay, twenty miles south of Koartac. The whiteout conditions made it impossible to judge altitude and the Otter landed heavily on the rough surface, being substantially damaged in the process. The two on board were rescued two days later by a Survair DC-3.

Temporary repairs were made on site, and a ferry permit issued for a flight on 24th February to St. Jean airfield, near Montréal where St. Louis Aviation repaired the Otter, which had suffered damage to the main gear, propeller and engine mount. The Otter was soon back in action, but only a few days later, on 12th March 1976, it was destroyed by a fire at Sept Îles, Québec on its way back from Montréal to Schefferville. At 05:15 hours that morning, the pilot was preparing the Otter for departure from Sept Îles airport. An electrical fire originated in the baggage compartment, where there was a ten-gallon fuel drum and a tarpaulin. The smoke was noticed some minutes after the main switch had been selected on and while the pilot was turning the propeller by hand. Unfortunately, the fire took hold, and there were no emergency services on duty at the airport at that early hour of the morning. Sadly, Otter C-GLCV was totally consumed by the fire.

Full history up to 2005 courtesy of Karl E Hayes © from DHC-3 Otter - A History (CD-ROM 2005).