DHC-3 Otter Archive Master Index

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   click on arrows to navigate page by page

c/n 199

No image yet.

c/n 199



• LN-BFD Widerøe"s Flyveselskap & Polarfly A/S., Bodø, Norway. Delivered on 4th February 1957.

• LN-BFD Solbergfly A/S., Tønsberg, Norway. Regd 2nd April 1963.

• LN-BFD Ocean Products A/S., Bergen, Norway. Regd 21st February 1966.

Leased to Westwing A/S., Odda, Norway.

Accident: Near Odda, Norway. 31-Aug-1968. Flew into hill in poor weather. Of the five occupants one passenger survived.

Damaged beyond repair

Otter 199 was delivered to Widerøe's Flyveselskap & Polarfly A/S of Norway on 4th February 1957. It was crated at Downsview and shipped to Norway, where it was re-assembled and registered LN-BFD on 11th April 1957. It entered service with Widerøe's, based at Bodø in northern Norway, on their scheduled network. It continued to fly for Wider øe's until sold to Solbergfly A/S of Tønsberg, to whom it was registered on 2nd April 1963. It was sold on to Ocean Products A/S, Bergen on 21st February 1966 and leased by them to Westwings. It crashed on 31st August 1968 and was destroyed, its total time at that stage 7,377 hours.

On Saturday 31st August 1968 LN-BFD took off from the Westwings base at Odda at 0915 hours, taking a party of five hunters to the Hardangervidda mountain plateau east of Odda. Despite being 125 kilometres from the North Sea, Odda is a busy port, serving heavy industries. The mountains rise steeply up at the sides of the fjords to a height of 5,600 feet. To the east is a large uninhabited plateau with vast areas for fishing and hunting. Seaplanes provide fast and easy transport to this area, which is devoid of roads. The weather that day was not good, with overcast and low clouds. After climbing out to the north over the fjord and then making a turn to gain height, course was set toward the east. The only survivor of the crash later said that having followed the usual route for these flights over some well-known lakes, he noticed that the clouds got progressively lower and visibility dropped as the Otter flew further east into the mountains. Several mountain tops were covered in cloud. Suddenly the Otter made a sharp left turn over a lake and started a rapid climb. Last thing the survivor remembers before being knocked unconscious by the impact was grabbing his seatbelt.

The aircraft crashed near the lakeshore at a height of 4,259 feet above sea level. It burned to near total destruction after impact. The survivor gained consciousness at 1045 hours. At that time, the aircraft was still burning, and the hunting ammunition occasionally exploded. He quickly established that the pilot and the four other passengers were dead. He was found later in the day and flown back to Odda. The accident investigators concluded that the accident was caused by the pilot attempting a VFR flight at low altitude in terrain and weather gradually making this impossible. In the end, he didn't have enough room for manoeuvre and crashed into rising terrain in an attempt to turn around.

Full history up to 2005 courtesy of Karl E Hayes © from DHC-3 Otter - A History (CD-ROM 2005)