3671 • C-GVMO • N26DE
• 3671 Royal Canadian Air Force. Taken on charge 11-Dec-1953. Delivered on 31-Dec-1953 and was allocated to 408 Squadron, Rockcliffe, ON.
Note: Into storage at No 6 Repair Depot, Trenton, ON., and Saskatoon, SK., until Nov1966 when it re entered service with 411 Squadron at Downsview, ON.
Re entered storage at Saskatoon, May-1967 until Jun-1969 and again at Mountain View, ON between Jul1970 and Nov-1971.
Struck off charge 10-Mar-1982.
Entered further storage at Mountain View, ON., in Sep-1982.
Total time: 6,780 hrs at Sep-1982.
Entries preceded by a date are extracts from Canadian Department of Transport archives.
19-Nov-1982 C-GVMO allotted to DHC-3 msn 26, King’s Construction Ltd, Grimshaw AB.
25-Nov-1982 Flight Permit to ferry Belleville, ON., to Edmonton AB and for a Certificate of Airworthiness test flight, valid to 25-Dec-1982.
24-Jan-1983 Temporary Certificate of Registration, valid to 24-Feb-1983.
31-JAN-1983 Flight Permit for Certificate of Airworthiness test flight issued.
04-Feb-1983 Crown Assets Disposal Corporation invoice for two Otters paid. (The other was C-GVMC).
04-Feb-1983 Application for Certificate of Registration by King’s Construction.
04-Feb-1983 Certificate of Registration issued to King’s Construction (Grimshaw) Ltd, Grimshaw , AB.
04-Feb-1983 Certificate of Airworthiness issued.
• C-GVMO John King, dba King's Construction Ltd., Grimshaw, AB. Purchased 19-Nov-1982. Regd 04-Feb-1983.
13-May-1983 Bill of Sale; John King to King’s Construction (Grimshaw) Ltd.
• C-GVMO King's Construction Ltd., Grimshaw, AB. Regd May-1983.
18-Jan-1985 Bill of Sale; King’s Construction (Grimshaw) Ltd to Mike Hackman, Edmonton AB (used aircraft dealer).
• C-GVMO Mike Hackman, Edmonton, AB. Regd Jan-1985.
25-Jan-1985 Bill of Sale; Mike Hackman to Dan Michel, Sterlin. AK.
• C-GVMO Cancelled from Canadian Civil Aircraft Register 25-Jan-1985.
Total time since new as recorded in Canadian Department of Transport archives.
31-Jan-1983 - 6,802 hours
04-Jan-1984 - 6,818 hours
21-Jan-1985 - 6,821 hours
• N26DE Dan Michel, Sterling, AK. Operating as All West Freight. Purchased 25th January 1985.
• N26DE Leased to Charles H. Strapp, Dillingham, AK during 1988.
Note: Dan Michel made an attempt to convert the aircraft to turbine power in 1992 by installing a 1,200 hp turbine engine, a Lycoming T53 taken from a Grumman Mohawk. But the conversion was not certified by the FAA, and the aircraft remained stored in a hanger at Sterling, AK.
• N26DE The registered owner was changed to All West Freight Inc. Regd Aug-1997.
• N26DE Airflow Leasing LLC., (Kenai AK.) Regd 11-Feb-2009.
• N26DE Michael K. Schilling, Kenai, AK. Regd 17-Mar-2011.
• N26DE Kenmore Air Express, Kenmore, WA. Regd 08-Aug-2011.
• N765KA Kenmore Air Harbour Inc., Kenmore, WA. Regd 18-Oct-2011.
Otter 26 was delivered to the RCAF on 31st December 1953 with serial 3671. It was allocated to 408 Squadron, Rockcliffe and served with the squadron until May 1957, although for much of that period it was based at Fort Churchill, Manitoba. On 7th December 1955 it is recorded as flying Army personnel on exercises, in company with the Churchill Station's own Otter, 3681. On 27th December '55 it flew at ten thousand feet overhead Churchill to test a new American Army boot! A note in the Fort Churchill diary for 26th June 1956 records 3671 getting airborne that day for the first time since the beginning of April. On 7th August '56 it flew from Churchill to Station Bird, Manitoba on a medevac flight. During December 1956 the All Up Weight modification was incorporated at Churchill and on 2nd May 1957 it is recorded as departing from Churchill for the last time en route to Toronto.
Its next posting in July 1957 was to 111 Communications & Rescue Flight at Winnipeg. It is mentioned in the Flight's records on 9th January 1958 searching for a downed Stinson aircraft together with the Flight's other Otter, 3679 (37). On 20th January '58 two of the Flights C-47s and one Otter were dispatched to The Pas, Manitoba to set up a search headquarters for another Stinson which had gone missing. The Otter located the Stinson on Kiskitto Lake three days later. January '58 was a busy time for 111 C&R Flight, as on the 26th of the month, two Dakotas and the two Otters (3671 and 3679) deployed to Fort Churchill to search for a missing Found 100 aircraft, CF-IOO.
Other rescues on which 3671 was engaged included the search for Piper Super Cub N9929D in the Lac Seul area during March 1960 in company with Otter 3694, three of the 111 C&R Dakotas and no less than 13 Dakotas from No.2 AOS at Winnipeg and in May 1960 on “SAR Harrison”, the search for Piper PA-20 CF-HJH, overdue on a flight from Flin Flon to Tartan Lake. Other Otters taking part in this search were 3679 and 3694, also serving with 111 C&R Flight, and CF-KTI of Hudson Bay Air Transport. In July 1961 Prime Minister Diefenbaker was to visit Yellowknife and the Snare River area. A crew from 111 C&R Flight travelled to Vancouver to pick up 9420 from 442 Squadron at Sea Island, described as being a “VIP Otter”. This Otter, 9420, was used to transport the PM and his wife from Yellowknife to Snare River, with 3671 present at Yellowknife to support the visit. 3671 continued inservice with the Flight at Winnipeg until October 1962, when it was delivered to No.6 Repair Depot at
Trenton and put into storage as a reserve aircraft. In October 1964 it was moved to storage in Saskatoon, where it remained until 8th November 1966 when it re-entered active service with 411 Squadron at Downsview.
In March 1967 the Otter returned to Saskatoon to storage, until allocated to 424 Squadron, Trenton in June 1969, with whom it served until July 1970, when it was again put into storage, on this occasion at the Mountain View storage depot, Ontario. In November 1971 it was allocated to 400 Squadron at Downsview, with whom it was to serve for the next 11 years. In September 1973, 3671 participated in the Great Burlington Seaplane Race, representing 400 Squadron and also acting as the SAR aircraft for the race. The squadron history records the following: “All unnecessary seats and equipment were removed to lighten the aircraft. Anticipating refuelling at small lake-side facilities during the race, the crew practiced quick turn arounds at docks in the Toronto area. On 9th September the aircraft was moved to a dock in Burlington Bay. The next day a large race number “24” was painted on both sides of the cowling. At approximately 0800 hours on the 11th, 3671 crossed the start line and turned north to first refuelling stop at Sault Ste.Marie. 9.4 hours after leaving Burlington, the Otter settled into the water at Minaki Lodge, the first overnight stop.
On the next day, the destination was Ottawa non-stop. The last leg of the race on 18th September was back to Burlington. For much of the distance the Otter kept close company with a Twin Seabee. The Otter came second on the leg from Ottawa to Burlington, winning $500 for the squadron fund”. With 400 Squadron, 3671 undertook a number of long range trips, for example long-range trips, for example in July 1974, a visit to NORAD routing from Downsview-Sudbury-Sault St.Marie-Duluth and then back again via Sault St.Marie and Sudbury to base. In March 1981, in company with 9404, the Otter undertook a long-range training flight from Downsview to Myrtle Beach AFB, South Carolina, fuel stopping at Chase City, West Virginia on the southbound sector. On arrival at the small airport at Chase City, it transpired that the airstrip had gone out of business recently, so there was no fuel available and the two Otters were stuck there for some days, until the pilots arranged for a fuel bowser to come from Fort Bragg. “With our planes filled, we could bid adieu. We had become celebrities of sorts. We were the stranded Canuck airmen. People came to see our bush planes. Word spread that we were leaving (to the economic dismay of the local motel and diner). Cars and people lined the road beside the defunct airport to watch us take off, a major event for the local populace”. On the return home from Myrtle Beach, an uneventful fuel stop was made at Fort Bragg. 3671 continued to serve with 400 Squadron at Downsview until the Otter was withdrawn from Canadian military service during 1982.
3671 was one of seven Otters advertised for sale in September 1982 by the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation. The seven Otters were located at the AMDU Detachment, Mountain View, Ontario and 3671 was advertised as having 6,780 hours on the airframe. The buyer was King's Construction Ltd of Grimshaw, Alberta to whom the Otter was registered as C-GVMO on 19th November 1982, the purchase price being $52,650. On 25th November '82 a ferry permit was issued for the delivery flight from Belleville, Ontario to Edmonton. The purchase had been negotiated by Mike Hackman Aircraft Sales of Edmonton, who had also purchased Otter 9415 at the same time, which was registered C-GVMH and for which there was also a ferry permit from Belleville to Edmonton for the same day.
C-GVMO remained registered to King's Construction Ltd for just over two years, until sold to Dan Michel of Sterling, Alaska on 25th January 1985, to whom the Otter was registered as N26DE. Mr Michel's company is All West Freight, which used the Otter to serve the Kenai area of Alaska, flying freight and fish and servicing a gold mine at Flat, Alaska. For a time during 1988 the Otter was leased to Charles H. Strapp and based at Dillingham, Alaska before returning to All West Freight at Stirling. In common with many other operators, Mr Michel found the Otter somewhat underpowered for the demanding role of a bush aircraft servicing the Alaskan outback, and set about doing something about the problem. In October 1991 he purchased Otter N338D (338) which had at one stage been converted by the installation of a 1,200 hp Wright Cyclone R-1820 engine taken from a B-17 bomber. That certainly should have given sufficient power, but unfortunately the conversion had not been certified by the FAA and the original P&W R-1340 engine had been re-installed. That Otter crashed at Stirling early in 1992 and was wrecked.
As a replacement, N26DE was taken out of service in 1992 and work commenced at Stirling in converting the Otter with a 1,200 hp turbine engine, a Lycoming T-53 taken from a Grumman Mohawk. This is the same engine which powers the Huey helicopter. The T-53 was installed in N26DE but Mr Michel was unable to get the conversion certified by the FAA and N26DE has not flown since 1992. In August 1997 the registered owner was changed to All West Freight Inc, when the business was incorporated, but the Otter continued to languish in the hangar in Stirling. Not having had much success with its Otter operations since 1992, the company flies Cessna 207 and Short Skyvan aircraft.
Full history courtesy of Karl E. Hayes from DHC-3 Otter: A History (2005).