DHC-3 Otter Archive Master Index

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   click on arrows to navigate page by page

c/n 263

T-200 ready for the road trip to Alberta, at Vancouver, British Columbia.
Photo: John Kimberley © 23 April 1992 - Karl E. Hayes Collection
C-FOMS of CARIBOU GROUP, at Edmonton, Alberta.
Photo: Anthony J. Hickey © March 1994 - Karl E. Hayes Collection
N335AK on a rainy Juneau ramp.
Photo: Neil Aird © 13 September 2004
N335AK off again, viewed from the pond.
Photo: Neil Aird © 13 September 2004
N335AK next day, a little drier!
Photo: Neil Aird © 14 September 2004

c/n 263

T-200 C-FOMS



• T-200 Indonesian Air Force on 18th June 1958.

• Un regd Mike Hackman Aircraft Sales, Edmonton, MB. Circa 1991.

Total time 2,283hrs at circa 1990.

• C-FOMS Randy D'Aoust, dba Quality Aircraft Sales, St.Albert, MB. Regd 10-Aug-1992. Canx 11-May-1994.

• C-FOMS Possibly leased to Caribou Group, Edmonton, AB. Circa 1984.

• C-FOMS Black Sheep Aviation & Cattle Company Ltd., Whitehorse, YT. Regd 09-May 1994. Canx 27-Jan-1995.

• C-FOMS Almond Lansair Ltd., Whitehorse, YT. Regd 27-Jan-1995. Canx 28-Apr-1998-

• N335AK Alaska Juneau Aeronautics Inc., dba Wings of Alaska, Juneau, AK. Regd Apr-1998.

Accident: Tenakee Springs Seaplane Base 4th September 2002, While operating a scheduled flight, suffered damage while taxying after landing. There were six passengers and the pilot on board, none of whom were injured. An ocean current carried the Otter beyond the intended docking area, and the left wing struck a wooden piling, causing damage to the left wingtip, left wing aileron and pitot tube. The damage was repaired and the aircraft returned to service.

• N335AK Wells Fargo Bank Northwest NA Trustees, Salt Lake City, UT, Regd 16-Nov-2004. Canx 25-Apr-2013.

Status unknown

Otter 263 was delivered to the Indonesian Air Force on 18th June 1958, together with number 266. After test flying at Downsview, the two Otters were packed into crates and shipped to Indonesia, where the aircraft were re-assembled. Initially marks ELL-200 and ELL-201 had been proposed, and painted on the aircraft at Downsview, but the actual serials allocated in Indonesia were T-200 for 263 and T-201 for 266. The Otters were used to commence an air service linking remote areas of  the huge island of Kalimantan.

T-200 continued in Air Force service until deleted from the inventory in 1975. It was however retained for the personal use of a general, as was T-202 (300). When the general was killed in the crash of a Dornier aircraft in 1986, these two Otters were put into storage at Kalijati Air Base, some eighty miles from the capital of Jakarta, and put up for sale. The two Otters were purchased by Mike Hackman Aircraft Sales of Edmonton. When Mr.Hackman travelled to Indonesia in July 1989, he found both Otters at Kalijati Air Base. T-200 was on amphibious floats, with a white upper fuselage, grey lower fuselage and red cheat line. It had been well looked after and featured an original DHC interior. After a difficult thirty months of negotiations, both Otters were purchased, paint stripped at Kalijati, dismantled and shipped via Singapore to Vancouver, arriving in May 1990. The two aircraft were stored, with the fuselages in the Aeroflite Industries hangar at the Vancouver International Airport, and the wings in the Hackman facility in Edmonton. They were advertised for sale, as the known, lowest-time Otters in the world. T-200 only had 2,283 hours total time. Asking price for the aircraft was $315,000 Canadian.

The market for Otters was soft at the time, having just been “flooded” by the arrival in Canada of six former Burmese Air Force aircraft, and the two former Indonesian Otters remained in store for some time. It was hoped that they would be purchased for turbine conversion and although  they were inspected by many, no sales resulted. On 23rd April 1992, both fuselages departed the Vancouver International Airport by truck en route to Edmonton, where they were re-united with their wings. Both Otters were eventually sold to Randy D'Aoust, who traded as Quality Aircraft Sales, and who had a farm with an airstrip and hangar at St.Albert, not far from Edmonton, to where both Otters were taken for rebuild. T-200 was registered to Randy D'Aoust on 10th August 1992 as C-FOMS, and T-202 was registered to him as C-FOSM the following month.

C-FOMS was based at St.Albert after re-build. For a time during 1994 it carried Caribou Group, Edmonton, Alberta titles. It was sold in May 1994 to Black Sheep Aviation & Cattle Company Ltd., of Whitehorse in the Yukon. Despite the unusual title, this was a standard bush operator, and OMS flew for them from Whitehorse until sold in January 1995 to Almond Landair Ltd., also based  at Whitehorse. This was a company owned by a Swedish gentleman, specialising in guided wilderness and bush flying adventure tours, mostly fishing and camping. The Otter flew for Almond Landair on amphibious floats until sold in April 1998. It was replaced by a Grumman Goose C-GDAO which unfortunately was destroyed in a hangar fire at Whitehorse in January 1999.

The purchaser of the Otter was Alaska Juneau Aeronautics Inc, trading as Wings of Alaska, to whom the Otter was registered in April 1998 as N335AK, joining their fleet of Otters based out of Juneau. Wings of Alaska operates both scheduled flights and charters, specialising in sight-seeing flights during the summer months for the passengers from the cruise ships which dock at Juneau. One incident was recorded, on 4th September 2002, while operating Flight 71 that day. Otter N335AK, on amphibious floats, sustained damage while taxying after landing at the Tenakee Springs Seaplane Base, on a scheduled flight from Juneau. There were six passengers and the pilot on board, none of whom were injured. The pilot shut off the engine as the airplane approached the seaplane dock. An ocean current carried the Otter beyond the intended docking area, and the left wing struck a wooden piling, causing damage to the left wingtip, left wing aileron and pitot tube. The damage was repaired and N335AK returned to service.

The Otter continued in service with Wings of Alaska until September 2004, although it was  never been painted into the company's blue house colours. N335AK was sold in early September 2004 to a private individual based in the Bahamas. It was noted at the Viking Air facility in Victoria, BC on 19th September on amphibious floats, being prepared for the long delivery flight to the Bahamas. After arrival there, it was registered on 16th November 2004 to Wells Fargo Bank Northwest NA of Salt Lake City, Utah. It is reported that the Otter is used to fly duck hunters to islands in the Bahamas.

N338AK. Having been converted to a Texas Turbine Otter by Kal Air at Vernon, BC (conversion # 14) over the winter of 2004/05 and repainted in a new colour scheme, N338AK left Vernon (accompanied by N339AK number 454) in early March 2005, both returning to Juneau in the crates in which they had arrived. At Juneau they were re-assembled and entered service with Wings of Alaska as part of its four-strong turbo Otter fleet for summer 2005 and again in summer 2006.

Full history up to 2005 courtesy of Karl E Hayes © from DHC-3 Otter - A History (CD-ROM 2005)