DHC-3 Otter Archive Master Index

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   click on arrows to navigate page by page

c/n 300

T-202 at Vancouver - CYVR, British Columbia.
Photo: John Kimberley © April 1992 - Karl E. Hayes Collection
N79JJ at Bellingham - KBLI, Washington.
Photo: Karl E. Hayes © September 1999

c/n 300

T-202 • PK-NUF • PK-VOM • T-202 • C-FOSM



• T-202 Indonesian Air Force. (Angkatan Udara Republik Indonesia - AURI). Delivered 27-Nov-1959.

• T-202 PN Merpati Nusantara. Sep-1962. Served in a civilian role with its military serial.

• PK-NUF PN Merpati Nusantara. Jan-1969.

• PK-VOM Dirgantara Air Service. Apr-1976, Operating for Rio Oil (an American Oil Company).

• T-202 Returned to the military. Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara (Indonesian Armed Forces - Air Force). Circa 1980.

• Un-regd Purchased by Mike Hackman, Edmonton, AB. Circa May-1980.

Total time. 2,010hrs.

• C-FOSM.Randy R. D'Aoust, dba Quality Aircraft Sales, St.Albert, near Edmonton, AB. Regd. 10-Sep-1992.

Power-plant Converted to Vazar turbine turbine power by Aeroflite Industries at Vancouver. Early 1997.

• N79JJ James Jannard, dba Prof Fate Inc., Bellingham, WA. Regd 16th May 1997. Also Eastsound, WA.


Otter 300 was delivered to the Indonesian Air Force on 27th November 1959 with serial T-202. A few days later, on 9th December '59, Otter 303 was delivered with serial T-203. Both Otters were packed into crates and shipped to Indonesia, where they were re-assembled and entered service on amphibious floats. The Otters were operated by 4 Squadron of the Indonesian Air Force (Angkatan Udara Republik Indonesia - AURI), but were primarily used for civilian passenger and cargo transport in remote areas, in the interests of national development.

In September 1962, with a view to providing civilian air transport for West Irian, the Indonesian government formed PN Merpati Nusantara as a state owned airline. The new airline's first equipment comprised two Douglas DC-3s transferred from the Air Force, as well as Otter T-202, and three civilian registered Otters, PK-PHA, 'PHB and 'PHC. T-202 was flown with its AURI serial and with Merpati titles. It continued in use with the airline for some years and in January 1969 was registered to Merpati as PK-NUF. After some further years of service, it was placed into storage at  Biak.

The Otter was later restored to service to meet the requirements of an American oil company, Rio Oil, who were exploring around Batan Island. In 1974 they tendered for an amphibian aircraft to support the exploration work, and contracted with Dirgantara Air Service to operate a former Indonesian Air Force Grumman Albatross on their behalf. The Albatross had to be retired due to spar fatigue, and the Merpati Otter PK-NUF was then sourced to replace it. The Otter, still on amphibious floats, was taken out of storage at Biak and transferred to Dirgantara Air Service in April 1976, re- registered PK-VOM, and re-painted in Dirgantara Air Service colours. It continued in operation on this contract for Rio Oil until 1980, when it went back to the Air Force, and its original military marks  T- 202 were re-applied.

In 1974 the AURI had been re-titled Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara (Indonesian Armed Forces - Air Force) and its surviving Otter T-200 (263) was deleted from the inventory in 1975. It was however retained for the personal use of a general and was joined by T-202 (300) when it was returned to the Air Force in 1980. When the general was killed in the crash of a Dornier aircraft in 1986, the two Otters were put into storage at Kalijati Air Base, some eighty miles from the capital, Jakarta, and put up for sale. The two Otters were purchased by Mike Hackman Aircraft Sales of Edmonton, Alberta. When Mr.Hackman travelled to Indonesia in July 1989, he found both Otters at Kalijati Air Base. T-200 was on amphibious floats, with a white upper fuselage, grey lower fuselage and  red cheat line, the colour scheme in which it had been delivered by DHC. T-202, also on amphibious floats, was in a similar scheme, but with a two-tone blue cheat line, a remnant from its days with Dirgantara Air Service. Both Otters had been well looked after and hangared and featured original DHC interiors.

After a difficult thirty months of negotiations, the Otters were purchased, paint-stripped at Kalijati, dismantled and shipped in crates via Singapore to Vancouver, arriving in May 1990. The two aircraft were stored, fuselages in the Aeroflite Industries hangar at the Vancouver International Airport and wings in Edmonton, where Mr.Hackman had his facility. Both Otters were advertised for sale as the known lowest-time Otters in the world, T-200 (263) with total airframe hours of 2,283 and T-202 (300) with 2,010 hours. Asking price for each aircraft was $315,000 Canadian. The market was soft at the time and no buyer was found. On 23rd April 1992, the two Otter fuselages left Vancouver on trucks and were brought to Edmonton, where they were re-united with their wings and they were then  sold to Randy R.D'Aoust, trading as Quality Aircraft Sales, who had a farm with an airstrip at St.Albert, not far from Edmonton. Both Otters were trucked here for rebuild. Number 263 was registered to Randy D'Aoust on 10th August 1992 as C-FOMS and number 300 was registered to him on 10th September 1992 as C-FOSM.

After rebuild, C-FOSM was sold, and arrangements made for it to be flown to the  Aeroflite Industries at Vancouver, who were to convert it to turbine power for its new owner. The delivery flight was made on 29th November 1994, routing first from Edmonton through passes in the Rocky Mountains for a landing at Prince George, BC, to refuel. The Otter took off again for a VFR flight to Williams Lake but encountered deteriorating weather in the Quesnel area. The pilot carried out a precautionary landing in a large clear area in front of a wood processing plant. There was no injury or damage. The aircraft had been stripped out for the ferry flight to Vancouver. There were no avionics on board, and the pilot only had a portable VHF radio. The weather was poorer than forecast, and after evaluating the weather ahead and behind him, the pilot had decided to land alongside the river and wait out the snow storm. C-FOSM later took off without further incident and completed its journey to Vancouver.

At Vancouver, the Otter was converted to a Vazar turbine and received a full set of avionics equipment and an executive interior. On completion of the work it was registered N79JJ to Prof Fate Inc., of Bellingham, Washington on 16th May 1997. It was painted in a somewhat dramatic scheme of grey overall with a 'skull-and-crossbones' logo on the rear fuselage. Its owner owns a home on  Orcas Island in the San Juans and uses the Otter from its Bellingham base to access the island. He also owns Turbo Beaver N69JJ, which is in the same colour scheme, which is also based at  Bellingham.

The owner’s name is James Jannard (hence the JJ in the registration) who when he bought the Otter was the founder and main shareholder of the world famous Oakley sunglasses company.

Full history up to 2005 courtesy of Karl E Hayes © from DHC-3 Otter - A History (CD-ROM 2005)