DHC-3 Otter Archive Master Index

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   click on arrows to navigate page by page

c/n 387

9412 at CFB Ottawa - Uplands - CYOW.
Photo: Unknown photographer © 19 May 1981 - Karl E. Hayes Collection
C-GIIQ has a new beginning, the first of many.
Photo: Robert S. Grant © July 1987 - Aird Archives
C-GIIQ at Calgary - CYYC, Alberta.
Photo: Anthony J. Hickey © December 1989 - Karl E. Hayes Collection
C-GIIQ "waiting" in Kuby's yard at Kenora, Ontario.
Photos: Neil Aird © 13 July 1995
Photo: Karl E. Hayes © May 2004
N443CB now a turbine.
Photo: Zane Adams © 2009 - Karl E. Hayes Collection
N443CB at Lake Cunningham, Bahamas.
Photos: cameronmd80 © 2015 - Screen captures from video. YouTube link

Link 2

N443CB being worked on at Reconair, in Geraldton, Ontario.
Photo: Warren Kerr © 12 October 2017

c/n 387

9412 • C-GIIQ



• 9412 Royal Canadian Air Force. Delivered 31-Aug-1960. Designated as CSR-123.

Initially assigned to 400 Squadron, CFB Downsview, ON.

Dec-1960. 411 Squadron, CFB Downsview, ON.

Accident: Lake of Bays, ON. 19-Jan-1962. On landing on an ice covered lake at a survival training camp the ski equipped aircraft encountered thin ice and sank up to its wing. The fuselage filled with water which turned to ice. No injuries sustained. Repaired by the RCAF's 12 Technical Support Unit (TSU).

30-Oct-1962. Assigned to 401 Sqd and also 438 Sqd at St.Hubert, QC.

15-Feb-1982 AMDU, CFB Trenton, ON. An aircraft modification and repair unit.

27-May-1982 Mountain View depot where it was put up for disposal through the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation.

Total airframe time of 6,333 hours.

Note: Purchased by Silver Pine Air Services Ltd., Pine Falls, MB. at a price of $60,000. It was flown to Silver Falls where it was overhauled and converted to civilian configuration was registered

• C-GIIQ Silver Pine Air Services Ltd., Pine Falls, MB.  Regd Dec-1982. Canx 30-Dec-1985.

• C-GIIQ Jackson Air Services Ltd,. Flin Flon, MB. Regd 25-Jul-1986. Canx 22-Jan 2001.

Incident: 1987, Flin Flon, MB. 16-Dec-1987. The Otter sank through the ice while taxying for take off, the second dunking of its career

Incident: Sylvia Lake, Manitoba. 24-Jan-1990. The pilot landed too close to the shoreline and the aircraft ran up onto land, causing minor damage to the left wing.

Accident: Sandy Bay, SK. 11-Mar-1994.. Aircraft failed to gain sufficient height after take-off from snow affected situation and hit trees on rising ground. rising ground. The pilot and two passengers escaped without injury.

Note: The wreck was brought to Kuby's Aircraft, Kenora, Ontario where it lay for years. It was noted there still in May 2004, ten years after the accident, and presumably until Dec-2006 when purchased by Recon Air Corp.

• C-GIIQ Recon Air Corp., Geraldton, ON. Regd 21-Dec-2006. Canx 17-Sep-2007 on export to USA.

• N443CB Bank of Utah Trustee, Salt Lake City, UT. Charles Bethel, Andros Island, Bahamas. Operated for Flamingo Quay Resort. Regd 12-Oct-2007.

Airworthiness date: 18-Oct-2007.

Power-plant. FAA shows as Honeywell TPE331-10/ (Texas turbine Garrett engine).


Otter 387 was delivered to the RCAF on 31st August 1960 with serial 9412. It was assigned to 400 Squadron, Downsview and then to 411 Squadron, also based at Downsview in December 1960. It met with an accident on 19th January 1962 while landing at the Lake of Bays in the Muskoka Lakes area of Ontario. The mission was to land on the lake and set up camp as part of a survival training exercise. The pilot performed a touch-and-go on the snow covered ice of the lake, inspected the tracks for half a mile, and then landed at another parallel position. However, as the Otter taxied towards the shore, it encountered thin ice and sank, coming to rest with the wings resting on the ice and the fuselage full of water, which would later become ice when the temperature dropped. The crew made a rapid evacuation, without any injuries.

As it happened, there was a huge rescue effort on at the time, which had started on 16th January 1962, for a Strategic Air Command B-47 bomber call-sign 'PETE 67', which had gone missing on a night training detail out of Plattsburgh AFB., New York. It was not known where the aircraft had crashed and although USAF aircraft were combing New York State, the RCAF were searching north of the border, a huge search involving Albatross, Dakota, Caribou, Expeditor and Lancaster aircraft and H-21 and H-34 helicopters, and also involving two Otters from 102 Rescue Flight at Trenton and one from St. Hubert. One of the SAR helicopters and a Caribou were diverted from the B-47 search to go to 9412's assistance. The B-47 wreckage was eventually found forty five miles south-west of Plattsburgh.

Otter 9412 was retrieved from the lake and taken to DHC at Downsview, where it was repaired by the RCAF's 12 Technical Support Unit (TSU).  Following repair, on 30th October 1962 it was assigned to 401 Squadron at St. Hubert, Montréal. It was to spend the rest of its military career at St. Hubert, used by both 401 and 438 Squadrons. After nearly twenty years at St. Hubert, on 15th February 1982 it arrived at the AMDU, Trenton, moving on 27th May 1982 to the Mountain View depot where it was put up for disposal through the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation. It was one of a number of Otters sold at auction in September '82, advertised for sale with a total airframe time of 6,333 hours on the airframe. The purchaser was Silver Pine Air Services Ltd., of Pine Falls, Manitoba at a price of $60,000. It was flown to Silver Falls and after overhaul and conversion to civilian configuration was registered C-GIIQ to Silver Pine Air Services in December 1982.

In July 1986 the Otter was sold to Jackson Air Services Ltd., of Flin Flon, Manitoba. On 16th December 1987, at its Flin Flon base, the Otter sank through the ice while taxying for take off, the second dunking of its career. Repairs on this occasion cost $12,000. Another incident was recorded on 24th January 1990 at Sylvia Lake, Manitoba. The pilot landed too close to the shoreline and the aircraft ran up onto land, causing minor damage to the left wing. A more serious accident befell C- GIIQ at Sandy Bay, Saskatchewan on 11th March 1994. The Otter was departing from the ice strip at Sandy Bay. Because of the sticky snow conditions, the pilot taxied the aircraft beyond the normal take-off start position before starting the take-off run. However, the take-off run required was still too long to permit clearance over rising terrain in the departure path, and the aircraft struck the trees and crashed. The Otter decelerated in the trees and remained upright. The pilot and two passengers escaped without injury.

Damage to the Otter was very substantial however and brought the aircraft's career with Jackson Air Services to an end. The wreck was brought to Kuby's Aircraft at Kenora Ontario where it lay for years. It was noted there still in May 2004, ten years after the accident.

 After its accident in March 1994 at Sandy Bay, Saskatchewan the Otter was brought to Kuby’s Aircraft, Kenora where it lay, in the company of other wrecked Otters, for years, intended for eventual rebuild. In the event, Kuby’s Aircraft sold their stock of wrecked Otters to Recon Air of Geraldton, Ontario and four Otters including C-GIIQ were trucked to Geraldton in October 2005. Rebuilding commenced during 2006 and IIQ was advertised for sale in November 2006, with total airframe time of 12,845 hours, in the course of rebuild to “like new” status, with a change of engine. The buyer of the Otter, in March 2007, was Charles Bethel of Andros Island in the Bahamas where he runs the Flamingo Quay resort. He needed a replacement for his original Otter N335AK (263) which had crashed in December 2006. By the end of September 2007, IIQ was nearing the completion of its rebuild and had been converted to a Texas turbine Otter with the Garrett engine. It also had new avionics fitted, a new interior, new paint scheme and was on Wipline amphibious floats. It was registered N443CB on12th October 2007 to Bank of Utah Trustee, Salt Lake City and set off on its delivery flight, routing from Geraldton-Duluth-Champaige (Illinois)-La Grange (Georgia)- Fort Luaderdale-Nassau-Flamingo Quay, a flight time of 26 hours. It then entered service supporting the Flamingo Quay resort, collecting its guests at Nassau and flying them to and from the resort.

To quote from its website: “Flamingo Cay is a small, exclusive fishing and hunting resort in a private, secluded cove on the west side of Andros Island in the Bahamas. The Cay was acquired by the Bethel family in the 1920s and maintained since then for waterfowl shooting and fishing. Huge schools of medium to large bonefish roam the pristine white sand flats of Andros Island. Teal and ducks are found in great number, providing the wingshooter with an unforgettable experience”. The resort is only accessible by air, so guests arriving at Nassau are collected and flown to the Lodge. The Otter also travels to the mainland to collect and deliver guests, frequently visiting Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport in Florida. The Otter also flies guests to outlying locations in the Bahamas for fishing, hunting and tourism.

N443CB occasionally appears on flight-tracker websites, for example 30 March 2010 Andros Town International Airport to Fort Lauderdale Executive, 180 miles, time 2 hours 15 minutes en route at 120 knots, level at 6,500 feet. The Otter sometimes ventures further afield, examples from the flight-tracker being 19 January 2012 Picayune, Mississippi to Robert F. Swinnie Airport, Andrews, South Carolina, 3 hours 51 minutes at 11,500 feet; 23 January 2012 at Ridgeland, South Carolina; 14 June 2013 Camp Blanding, Florida to Fort Lauderdale Executive in 2 hours 10 minutes and 5 June 2015 Apalachicola to Randolph Field in the Florida Panhandle to Fort Lauderdale Executive.

Having flown for the Flamingo Cay Resort for ten years, N443CB returned to Geraldton, Ontario in late May 2017 for a major overhaul and repaint into a new colour scheme. It arrived there 31 May and entered the Recon Air hangar for this work. The new paint scheme comprised white upper fuselage, green lower fuselage with a thin purple line separating the colours. The overhaul took five months and it departed Geraldton on 1 November 2017, returning to Andros Island.

Full history up to 2005 courtesy of Karl E Hayes © from DHC-3 Otter - A History (CD-ROM 2005), now with added and updated information which Karl has supplied for the benefit of the website.